Over the years we collect so many memories. Think of all the birthday’s, holidays, and special occasions where we both give and receive handwritten notes. Some of these sentimental notes we keep and others we toss, which can feel disheartening. But, we all know it’s impossible to keep every single one. Check out our three favorite ways to recycle holiday cards.
3 Ways to Reuse Holiday Cards
1. Gift Bag Crinkle Paper
What You Need : unwanted cards, spray paint, and scissors or a shredder
- Lay each of your cards flat (outside works best) and completely spray them with spray paint. You’ll want to be sure to cover the cards completely, especially in the creases.
- Let the paint dry, then grab your scissors and cut the cards into very thin strips about a quarter of an inch wide. A paper shredder works well too.
- Once all the cards are cut, fold the strips accordion style to get a crinkled look.
2. Triangle Garland
What You Need : unwanted cards, spray paint, scissors, twine, and a hole punch (optional)
- Lay out each of your cards (outside works best) and begin spray painting them with your desired color of paint. Make sure to cover the entire card, even the creases.
- Next, grab your scissors and cut each card into isosceles (two sides are equal) triangles.
- Use the hole punch or scissors to make 2 holes on the shortest side of the triangle at both ends.
- After you have made your holes, start weaving the twine through the holes of each card, creating your garland. Keep weaving until you have reached your desired length.
3. Chalkboard Name Cards
What You Need : unwanted cards, chalkboard spray paint, chalk, and scissors
- Lay out each of your cards (outside works best) and begin spray painting each one with chalkboard spray paint. Make sure to cover the entire card.
- Once they dry completely, cut the cards into your desired shape. Note, if you are using folded cards and want the card to stand, fold the card and hold it so that the crease is facing either left or right. Then, make a vertical cut, trimming off any excess length.
- After trimming, turn the card so that the crease is facing upward. Grab your scissors and cut the card up the middle creating about 2 name cards. Continue this process for however many name cards you need.
We always love recycling paper. especially cards with sentimental notes. Use these three DIY ideas for your next birthday party or holiday gathering and let your holiday cards shine. How will you recycle your holiday cards?
Subscribe in the footer below and we'll deliver the next post straight to your inbox.